Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Kyoto Day 1

I had very wonderful companions for my first day of sightseeing and learning about Japanese traditions.  I was met my Mrs. Nakamura at my hotel.  We realized that I taught her son, Taka, when he was in Ms. Wang's class.  He is in the same class as the students who graduated Brookline High School this year.  Time flies!

First, we took the local train to Fushimi Inari-taisha, a Shinto shrine with many, many red wooden arches each put up to show gratitude for prayers that have been answered. 

I learned how to worship at the shrine by ringing the bell to alert the gods, to offer money, bow twice, clap my hands twice, make my wish (or prayer) and then bow again. 






We then walked up the mountain path through many arches.  We did not go too high up the mountain as we had other places to get to. 



As we left the shrine, we passed many little shops and street vendors.  We saw foods I had never seen, like octopus with peanuts, and foods I had seen, like mochi.  I also saw these Daruma dolls that reminded me of the ones that second graders at Lawrence make when they are studying Japan. 



We then took the train to a tea house called Chikusei.  There we met Mr. Sasaki, a young man who went to Heath School for a number of years.  We also met Mrs. Tsukada, mother of Mana and Kaho who were in 1C and 3W two years ago.  There we learned about the traditional tea ceremony.  Mrs. Tsukada did a great job translating so that I could understand all the wisdom the tea master was sharing about the Japanese traditions and how they play out in Japanese culture now, including the patience and strength of character he had seen in the Japanese soccer team that night when they tied with Senegal. 



From there we went to a beautiful restaurant for a fancy multi-course meal.   We had difficulty finding the place, but in the end that was the charm of it.  It was a quiet retreat in the otherwise busy city or suburban streets.  (Below is a picture looking in to the entrance of the restaurant, and out toward the neighborhood.)















There I learned that there is a specific seating order at a formal dinner depending on how important the guests are. 

I was the important guest but I chose the least important seat by mistake.  I moved to the seat of honor closest to the wall and the window.  Many courses of food were brought to us, each one beautifully presented and delicious as well.  It was a very special meal.  My favorite dish was the tofu salad (left); beautifully light with a perfect combination of textures.



No comments:

Post a Comment